From 3D To 2D

Candleholder by Jan Hebach, steel, 2004

Candle holder by Jan Hebach, steel, 2004

‘Jule?’ – Dave, my muse.
‘I’ve got an idea.’
‘You’ve got more ideas than other people’s dogs got fleas.’
‘No, seriously. You’ve found some stuff again recently while sorting your things. I thought I could combine some of those things for a little piece of fun.’
He never fails to make me curious. ‘Which are? I’ve found tons of stuff.’
‘On one of the postcards you picked up at an exhibition there’s this metal candle holder. I know you like this card and you were already thinking of something inspired by this picture.’
‘Yes, I was.’
floss‘Take that small leftover piece of 12 ct Aida and the cut embroidery floss from the plastic bag you found a couple of days ago. And a strand of black floss from your stash. Cross stitch with the robin’s egg blue and backstitch with the black one.’
‘Hm. Yes, that could work. But I’m a little short of time at the moment to do this.’
‘Make this your lunchtime break project, then.’

That little rascal. Always one step ahead of me. :)


Meet The Beetles – Stage 1

Nicrophorus vespillo

Nicrophorus vespillo

Burying/sexton beetle (Totengräber)

I’ve tried my best to identify the species but there are a lot of varieties so I hope I’ve got it at least nearly right.  :)

Isn’t it cute? I fell in love with this pattern the moment I first saw it. There are four beetles in this design, I chose to stitch them in one row instead of two.

The pattern (# 73107) was published in Pflanzen, Früchte & Tiere (Woodland and garden life/La nature de nos jardins/Vruchten, planten en vlinders), Rico Design Vol. 35, by Michael Lindner, Ingeburg Dietz & Christel John (ISBN 3-933554-39-X). I’m stitching with Anchor threads on 16 ct white Aida.

This is my new SAL project – I’m stitching along with Avis, Claire, Gun and Kate. And we also have a couple of new ladies joining us. Hop over and see what they are up to:










Monsieur Maurice

Mesdames et messieurs, say hello to Monsieur Maurice, who has just arrived here from France. He brought a little snack because he’s not too fond of German white bread. Let’s hope his new friends are not too fond of French baguette.


When I was making him I originally called him Pierre. But now that he’s finished I think he’s looking more like he’s called Maurice. :)

The Reef – October

Welcome to the next issue of The Reef, introducing one specimen from my secret reef located on the western shore of the Baltic Sea each month – as quantities last and new species are detected. :)

Cotonia spongia-fungus julii
Yellow Mushroom Sponge

Cotonia spongia-fungus julii

Cotonia spongia-fungus julii

This specimen is 8 cms in diameter and 10 cms high and is the only known example of the yellow mushroom sponge so far. The purpose of the unusual mushroom shape is yet unknown and needs to be further researched.

Bitten By The Stitching Bug – Again

threads for my new project

threads for my new project

No more cross stitch this year. That’s what I said in my comments recently. But one special project kept nagging me. Especially now that Avis and Claire have chosen a new project for a SAL.

OK, I give in. ;)

My new project will be a joy for the entomologists and insect lovers among you. Here’s a little teaser pic – I don’t want to give too much away for now. But I can tell you won’t be disappointed. :)


Currently we are nine ladies stitching along. We will all post about our progress on October 12. I’ll link to all of  their blogs in my post then.

Butterflies – Stage 8 & Finish

Pararge aegeria tircis (male)

Pararge aegeria tircis (male)

You may have noticed it was a little quiet around here and my other blogs lately. I was engaged in a serious battle against everything paper in my humble dwellings (not finished yet, but way better than before), went for a couple of photo walks on the weekends (got soaked last weekend – why does it always rain on weekends?), had some health issues getting in the way (hoping to get a satisfying answer tomorrow from my doc) and there was a death in the family (finally, after months of struggling), but I still managed to finish my Butterflies.

But before I show you how it turned out, here are the last five beauties.

Speckled Wood (Pararge aegeria tircis)

Gatekeeper, Hedge Brown (Pyronia tithonus)

White Admiral (Limenitis camilla)

Clouded Yellow (Colias croceus)

Purple Emperor (Apatura iris)

For the backing and binding I used some fabric from my stash. Not the one I was looking for and obviously didn’t have – a red one with butterflies. But I found another one I had totally forgotten about – a blue one with butterflies’ wings. At first I was a little reluctant to cut this one, but Hey! That’s what it’s made for!

backing and binding fabric

backing and binding fabric

Washing and ironing out the dust and creases of at least 15 years, adding a leftover piece of thin batting/wadding and a thin border from the backing fabric – et voilá!

Butterflies, finished

Butterflies, finished

Butterflies, panel

Butterflies, panel

Erm – some of you who have a sharp eye may have noticed I miscounted my own pattern (top row, right). I only noticed after I had finished the Gatekeeper but neither had time nor did I feel like taking out the stitches and start again. Better luck next time. ;)

This was the last stage of my project in a SAL. I think Avis in England and Claire in France both have finished Cirque des Cercles, Gun from Sweden should have found a solution for her blue flowers while Kate from Australia has already completed her wedding sampler and has started a new project. Feel free to pop over!

My wonky little Tardis

My wonky little Tardis

I will now try to finish some of the projects from my list on the left before the end of the year and there are still some WIPs waiting at the UFO Garage. This means my other cross stitch projects will have to wait until 2015. After all, I don’t own a Tardis. At least not a real one. :)